Retail Merchandiser - November/December 2012 - (Page 63)

Retail NAVY EXCHANGE SERVICE COMMAND Gaining a Global Reach Efficiency and cost control allow the Navy Exchange Service Command to provide retail options and services to the men and women serving our country around the world. or a U.S. sailor stationed in a faraway post, there might be no more welcomed sight than a pair of Levi’s jeans or a tube of Crest toothpaste. The familiar brands and flavors of home bring these men and women a great deal of comfort when they are thousands of miles away from loved ones for months at a time. To make sure they can get these comforts, the Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM) was established in 1946. Today, NEXCOM operates 300 stores around the world with 14,000 employees who provide the Navy’s men and women and their families a wide array of retail products and services. Of NEXCOM’s $3 bil- F lion in annual revenue, 70 percent of profits benefit the Navy Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) program, with the remaining 30 percent retained for capital reinvestment in NEXCOM facilities. MWR provides active-duty, reserve and retired Navy personnel and their families with a variety of recreational, social and community support activities around the world. These include physical fitness activities and child development and youth programs, in addition to food and beverage services. The goal of MWR is to provide quality support and recreational services and promote the wellbeing of the sailors and their families. Robert Bianchi Virginia Beach, Va. November/December 2012 retail merchandiser 63

Table of Contents for the Digital Edition of Retail Merchandiser - November/December 2012

Retail Merchandiser - November/December 2012
Sports Licensing Show
Wine & Food Festival
Brand Licensing Europe
Category Insight
Cover Story
Affinity Consultants
United States Olympic Committee
Pacific Cycle Inc.
Foot Locker Inc.
Nationwide Vision
Belle Foods
Campioni Enterprises
Gilligan Oil
Hickman’s Iga
Liquor Stores N.A.
Ken’s Superfair Foods and Food Fair
Navy Exchange Service Command
New & Notable

Retail Merchandiser - November/December 2012